Mubende district located in the central region of Uganda and it borders the districts of Kiboga and Luwero in the North and north East separately, Kibale in the north-West, Kyenjojo in the West and Sembabule and Mpigi in the South. Mubende is one of the oldest districts in Uganda having been established around 1905 by colonial rulers. Mubende was part of Buganda Kingdom at Independence in 1962. Following abolition of Kingdoms in 1967, It became one of the districts carved out of Buganda Kingdom. According to local leaders and elders, the district derives its name from kubenda benda, which literally means to walk while bending.
In 2014, the district had 684,337 people in total, it is 151km via Mityana road from kampala and the major language spoken here is Luganda.
Mubende is one of the leading maize producers in the country, harboring a grain cleaning and drying factory. As of 2018, the district is home to the largest coffee plantation in Africa- Kaweri coffee plantation. The plantation sits on 2500 hectares of land, with Robusta coffee covering 1600 hectares. Having started it operations in 2001, it is owned by Germany based investors. And according to Energy Ministry officials, by 2017, up to 2,249 artisanal and small-scale miners had been registered in Mubende district.
Places to see would be; the 400 year-old Nakayima tree shrine. The shrine is visited by the people paying homage to the matriarch Nakayima, who was the wife of Nduhura, a medieval chwezi king.